This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
Biscuits and sausage gravy are my all time favorite breakfast food, hands down. Growing up, my mom made it for all of the special occasions, but also those every day moments, too. Family weekend breakfasts, the beach, you name it. Something about making sausage gravy for my own family just takes me back home to my roots. Over the years, I have worked to tweak my biscuits and gravy recipe, and I’m here to share it with you so that you can make your own special memories!
Slowly pour in your milk, and stir to combine.
Simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently, until your gravy starts to thicken up.
Totally irrelevant, but I am so a fan of cooking with gas stoves! I always thought people who were gas-snobs on those house hunting shows were a bit ridiculous. Now that I have one, I don’t think I will ever be able to go back! Things cook so much faster, and taste so much better!
You’ll notice your gravy start to thicken up as it simmers.
I stop when it reaches this consistency. Some people prefer a thinner gravy. If that’s you, don’t simmer quite as long!
Seriously, is there a much more cozy, comforting breakfast than that? YUM!
Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb ground sausage (I use mild)
- 4 tbsp salted butter (use the real thing!)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 12 biscuits
- Preheat your oven and bake your biscuits according to the package directions.
- In a large skillet with deep sides (love my non-stick one from Pampered chef!), break up and brown your sausage.
- Add in your butter and stir it around until melted.
- Add your spices and stir well to combine.
- Add flour, stir it well until it coats the sausage, and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add the milk slowly, and simmer, stirring frequently.
- Simmer just until your gravy reaches your desired thickness.
- Split your biscuits in half and serve hot!
For real. So good! Do you love biscuits and gravy? Have you tried any other variations? Let’s hear it!