This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
Honestly, is there any better flavor combination than peanut butter and chocolate? I created this rich, smooth, creamy peanut butter buttercream to make a Reese’s cake for my husband a few years back, and it has become one of my most asked for icing flavors. It makes the literal perfect coating to a moist chocolate cake, or mix it up and do a peanut butter and jelly flavor! The recipe comes together in minutes and makes you look like a pro baker, even if you aren’t!
The first thing you will do is add your softened butter (I use half salted, half unsalted) and peanut butter to your Stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment.
Turn the mixer on, medium-high, and whip it until creamy and fully incorporated. Add the salt and vanilla and mix those in, too!
If that doesn’t look like a little kiss from heaven, right in your mixing bowl, I don’t know what does! Now go ahead and fight the urge to sit there and eat it straight with a spoon.
It glides right onto a cake for the smoothest of finishes. You could also pipe it onto cupcakes or brownies, too! So. Good!
This particular cake was for a sweet friend of mine. It’s definitely a favorite in our house though! If you try the recipe, please leave a rating to help others find it!
- Stand Mixer with whisk attachment
- 1 cup butter I use a stick each of salted and unsalted
- 1 cup peanut butter Go for quality! I prefer JIF or Reese's brand.
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt (You can add more if needed. It helps cut the sweetness. Do so sparingly)
- 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Add the butter and peanut butter to the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Whip on medium-high until light and creamy, pausing to scrape the sides.
- Add the vanilla and salt, and mix until incorporated.
- Alternate adding a cup of powdered sugar and a tbsp of whipping cream at a time, scraping the sides as needed. Start with the powdered sugar and end with cream.
- Once you have added all of your ingredients, scrape the sides of your bowl. Turn the mixer on high and whip it until light and fluffy!
- Spread or pipe onto your cakes, cupcakes, brownies and more! Whatever your heart desires. Fight the urge to sit and eat it with a spoon.