This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
Maybe you are looking for a way to generate some side income. Maybe you were laid off. Or maybe you are looking to quit your job and stay home with your kids or travel. Whatever your reason may be, this post is for you!
When I graduated college, I took a job in corporate America that was definitely not my dream job. It paid the bills and that was what we needed at the time. I always felt this tension, though, that I was not made for a sea of cubicles in a call center. Through a journey of several years, that tension grew.
And then one day, the Lord in His wisdom for my life, allowed my position to be eliminated. What followed was a season of anxiety, but also of learning to trust. It forced me to think outside of the box in terms of providing income for my family.
After the birth of our daughter Addilyn, I knew that going back into corporate America was just not something that I wanted to do…like ever. I had panic attacks about having to put my kids in daycare and miss out on the moments with them. I decided then and there that I would make this work, no matter what it took. I am here to share with you some of the best ways that I have found to make money online- or at the very least to work for yourself- so that you can live the life you want and be home with your children.
And let me add, mama, if you are totally fulfilled and satisfied in your career, there is zero shame in that! I know so many that just need that break from their kids, or are passionate about what they do, and that is okay! God has given us each gifts and talents to be used where we are!
If you identify with me, or just want to make some money on the side (hey- you don’t have to be a mom to do that!), read on!
There are so many great sites that allow you to earn a little bit of side income online by taking surveys! Swagbucks is one of my favorites! It is free to sign up. You simply create your account and then take surveys and watch videos to earn gift cards to your favorite retailers! Use those gift cards at places like Walmart, Amazon or Target for groceries, or splurge and choose fun cards like Starbucks!
Another great service is Inbox Dollars! Like the other services, you can take surveys, watch videos, read emails and play games to earn real cash. The really cool thing though about Inbox Dollars is that you also gain access to exclusive coupons and can even earn cash back for your online purchases! Since I do 95% of my shopping online, this adds up! Go here to get a free $5 signup bonus!
ySense is another great survey service! You can try new products, download apps and more. You can even earn more by referring your friends!
If you have a crafty side, setting up an Etsy shop can be an amazing way to make money from home! Reach millions of customers, make your craft while your kids play or nap, and you can even schedule for the post office to pick up your packages in most cities! So you literally never have to leave the house. What a time to be alive!
Maybe you aren’t crafty, but you have a teachable skill! There are people making good money on Etsy selling downloadable videos and tutorials, coaching sessions and more! The sky is the limit!
Okay, hear me out. I know this is a super polarizing topic. You either love and believe in the industry (which I do), or it makes your skin crawl. There is seldom an in-between. You can read my post about how not to be “icky” here.
Either way, I have been in direct sales for over a decade, off and on. I have done really well with companies (incentive trips, paid off debt, made life-long friends) and I have had other experiences totally flop and cause me pain (Agnes & Dora, anyone?). The most important part is to find a product and company that you really believe in and can sell from experience and service. Here are a few of the best ones that I have experience with, either by selling myself or having a lot of experience with the product. It is not for everyone, but if you find the right fit, there is good money to be made!
Brands I love:
- Pampered Chef (Current, and very happy consultant!)
- Beachbody (Sold for them and loved them so much!)
- Thirty-One (This was my very first company as a baby in direct sales. My sweet friend Holly Rudder has been with them for a very long time and I would recommend her to anyone interested!)
- Juvenae`( Some really amazing ladies that love and care so much for their team!)
- Zyia Active (Sold for them and loved them! Just chose to change my focus to match my niche a bit better- My girl Meg is the best if you are interested!)
- Rodan + Fields
Also- no matter which company you go with, Post My Party will be your best friend! It is such an easy “set and forget” system for running virtual parties, which frees you up to do what is most important- engaging and interacting with your customers! As a busy mom, I absolutely love this service so much. Sign up Here! It is worth every penny!
FlexJobs is an awesome marketplace for flexible, remote jobs from major companies like Apple, United Healthcare, Dell, Williams Sonoma and more! You can use code Save30 to save 30% on the premium subscription, too! This is a game-changer for people who want the freedom to work, and dress, however they want! Check It out for yourself!
Okay, this one is loaded, and totally deserves it’s own post, which I am working on! Blogging is not quick money by any means. It takes time and hard work to build up. But if you really want it and are consistent, success will come! Here are a few of the basics to get you started.
- Decide on a niche, or theme, that you are passionate about. You decide how specialized you want to get. Make sure that your writing brings value to your readers if you want to find a following.
- If you want to earn income blogging, you will need to be self-hosted. SiteGround is a great service for that, and truly a one-stop-shop. I used them to start Kisses + Caffeine and am still a loyal customer to this day! Their customer service is top-notch, which is really helpful for a novice blogger. Click here to get started.
- If you don’t use Siteground, you can purchase a domain through Domain.com or HostGator too!
- Once you are hosted, you will need to set up your WordPress. Creative Market has fully downloadable themes which make it super easy! An aesthetically pleasing, professional looking blog can make or break your success. And unless you are a graphic designer, you will definitely want to browse Creative Market (graphics and more, too!). It is far cheaper than paying a designer to build your site, and the folks at SiteGround will even help you troubleshoot!
- Canva is another great resource for bloggers! The interface is easy to use and you can create stunning graphics in minutes! They have tons of templates for social media posts and Pinterest Graphics as well.
- Now, the most important thing. You absolutely must get Tailwind if you want to be successful with blogging! Tailwind is how my first pins went viral, and has upped my Pinterest traffic to over 1 million views a month. It is the juggernaut of blogging and makes it stupid easy!
Affiliate marketing can be a very powerful tool, especially if you are a blogger. Once your blog is set up, you need to apply over at ShareASale and create paying content! This is also great if you are an influencer or have a large Instagram following!
If you start a small home-based business (or hey, even a big one!), ShareASale can be a great resource for you, too! Find affiliate partners to grow your brand for you, and only pay when it works!
Whatever your reason for wanting (or needing) to make money from home is, I hope that this helps you to accomplish your goals! Try one or two things, or try them all! The little things can add up and help make your dreams a reality.