This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
I am a huge whipped cream person! It is perfectly light and fluffy, and not super bad for you in the grand scheme of things. Whether it is on pie, pancakes, ice cream or heck…even just by itself, whipped cream can add the perfect touch! I discovered a few years ago how to make my own, and it is a game changer, guys. Much easier than you might think, no chemicals and great taste! You can even color or flavor it.
I decided on Lilliana’s first birthday to start a new birthday tradition for my girls- unicorn pancakes and mama’s homemade whipped cream! And of course, all the sprinkles and a candle! Since I was making it anyway, I decided to do a little tutorial for you guys!
You only need 3 ingredients- 4 if you are coloring your whipped cream. Heavy whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar.
Before getting started, you will want to chill your mixing bowl in the freezer for at least a half hour. A metal bowl works best but if you are using a hand mixer, glass is fine too. The key is a very cold bowl.
Add a cup of heavy cream to your mixing bowl.
Add a tsp of Vanilla and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar.
Turn the mixer on low and mix just until the sugar is incorporated.
Crank that baby up to high and whip, whip, whip! You want stiff peaks to form, meaning you can lift the whisk out and the cream doesn’t fall over. With a super cold bowl, I can usually achieve this in 4-5 minutes. Be careful not to over-whip or you will wind up with butter! If you are adding any food coloring, do so during this step!
Use it all right away or it will store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days!
As you can see, my girlies love it! I pray that they look back on their childhood and see the special. That they always know just how much their mama loves them and tried so hard to make every moment a memory.
I hope that you and your family can enjoy this simple, but special, treat as well!
- Mixer with whisk attachment
- Cold bowl (metal is best)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (you can play with flavors here if you want!)
- Optional food coloring
- Chill your bowl in the freezer for at least a half an hour prior to making this recipe!
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of your mixer.
- Mix on low with whisk attachment, until powdered sugar is just incorporated. Add food coloring here if desired.
- Turn the mixer up to high and whip until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes.
- Pipe or spread onto pancakes, crepes, pie..whatever dessert you want!