As a mom of two tiny humans, quick and easy dinners are my favorite! I confess that early in my marriage, we ate Hamburger Helper…a lot. Now that I am responsible for my kids’ nutrition, I much prefer something a bit less preservative-heavy. That being said…mama likes a good flavorful “Hamburger Helper” dish!
This one is so easy, comes together in minutes, and tastes amazing! You will definitely want to add it to your quick dinners rotation! Especially if you are as cast iron skillet crazy as I am!
Add your peppers and cook until tender.
Add in ground beef to the mix and cook until fully brown and then stir in the minced garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, just until fragrant.
Throw in the macaroni noodles.
Add your liquid and heat to a boil. Reduce heat just a bit and simmer until your pasta is tender and the liquid is absorbed. This takes about 8-10 minutes.
If all of your liquid is absorbed and the pasta is still tough, add more liquid in 1/4 cup increments to get your pasta fully cooked.
Throw the cheese on top!
Pop that bad boy under the broiler for a few minutes to give you that melty cheese!
Top with crispy fried onions, plate and enjoy!
Easy Philly Pepper Hamburger Helper
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2-3 large green bell peppers, seeded and diced.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 8 to 12 oz beef broth
- 1.5 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I use either cheddar or provolone!)
- Crispy fried onions to taste
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet and heat on medium high.
- Add diced onions and sauté until translucent.
- Toss in the diced peppers and cook until tender.
- Next, add the beef and cook until fully browned.
- Mix in the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes (until fragrant), stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Add uncooked pasta and beef broth and stir well.
- Heat to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through and the liquid is fully absorbed, about 8-10 minutes. You may wind up needing to add a little more liquid as needed.
- Toss your cheese on top and melt it under the broiler, just until browned on top.
- Sprinkle crispy fried onions on top and enjoy!