This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
Shepherd’s pie is one of my favorite comfort foods. It is also a great way to use up random ingredients that are about to go bad! We stocked up on ground beef a few weeks ago and some of it was on the verge of freezer burn, so I whipped this little recipe up. To be honest, it is one of my favorite recipes I have ever created! Super simple!
First, I sautéed my carrots in olive oil to soften them up a bit. Then, I added the ground beef and cooked it until fully done. I love making dishes like this in my cast iron skillet, since it easily goes from stovetop to oven!
Add salt and pepper to taste! Once the carrots are soft and the beef is fully cooked, add the frozen peas and carrots! If you don’t have fresh carrots on hand, a big bag of frozen mixed veggies works great! I was just trying to use up my carrots.
Mix the flour in very well and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add in the beef broth, garlic powder and onion powder.
Simmer for 3-4 minutes until the gravy thickens.
Top with mashed potatoes. I used a family size package of Bob Evans brand, because I had them on hand and was being lazy. You could totally whip up a batch of your own mashed potatoes and put them on top.
Stop for five minutes to get the baby to sleep. just kidding…that’s only for me!
Top with the cheese and pop that bad boy into the oven!
Bake until your cheese is all melty and just slightly browning on top.
This was absolutely delicious! My toddler loved it, and I am always game for things that help get her to eat veggies!
That’s it! A super easy weeknight meal that is savory and comforting!
Easy (Cheesy) Shepherd's Pie
- 1.5lbs ground beef
- 1 cup cut mini carrots*
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 1 family size container of Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 350, and heat a drizzle of olive oil in a cast iron skillet on your stovetop.
- Add cut carrots and sautée until they are starting to soften.
- Add ground beef to carrots and cook until beef is no longer pink and carrots are soft.
- Add frozen veggies and cook for a couple of minutes, until they are starting to thaw.
- Stir the flour in very well and heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add beef broth and spices and then simmer 3-4 minutes, until your gravy thickens.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the meat mixture.
- Top with cheese and place into the oven.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, until your cheese is melted and just starting to brown on top
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!