This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
We are on a serious banana kick over here! Maybe because we are stuck at home, or maybe because the toddler decided one banana into a bunch that she is temporarily over them. In the effort of not wasting, I have been trying to come up with new ways to use them and we have had a blast!
Addie LOVES baking with me. The other day, she requested to make cupcakes, so I set out to create some super moist banana cupcakes. And what better frosting to pair it with than a smooth cream cheese? Still sweet, but not as sweet as buttercream and the perfect match.
The over-ripe bananas added just the right amount of sweetness, and look at how perfectly golden those cuppy cakes come out?!
These stoneware cupcake pans are my favorite. They cook things more evenly and are less prone to burning! The ones I have are Paula Deen and are discontinued, but I have also tried this set that you can get on Amazon and they work just as well!
Of course, when you help mom in the kitchen, it’s a rite of passage that you get to lick the beater when the frosting is done! I think more special than the treats we make are the memories. If you have a toddler, bake with them! Sure it may take a little longer and make a bit more of a mess, but the joy my girl has spending time with me is worth it all!
By the way, she thoroughly approves of the cupcake itself, too! Ignore our mix-matched PJ’s…she wanted to be “wacky!”
I hope that you love these as much as we did! Which I suppose is a good thing since we are quarantined and will be “forced” to eat all 24 by ourselves…
Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cupcakes:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed over-ripe bananas
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
For the Frosting:
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk, to thin as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your baking pans with cupcake liners (you will need 24).
- Cream the butter and sugar for the cupcake base together in your stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the vanilla and banana and mix until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until well incorporated.
- Fill each cupcake liner and bake for 15-18 minutes, until your cupcake is set and firm when you lightly touch the top. If you are using a metal pan, they may cook a bit faster, so keep an eye on it!
- While your cupcakes are baking, go ahead and make your frosting! Using the whisk attachment on your mixer, whip the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar a cup a time, mixing well after each addition.
- If your icing is too thick, add a bit of milk to thin it to piping consistency. I like my icing firm enough to hold shape, but not so firm that I can’t squeeze it out!
- Once your cupcakes are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool to room temperature.
- Frost* and enjoy! Store the extras in the fridge!