This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
To be honest (as I am sure is the case for many of you!), it’s just not always in our budget to do extravagant date nights and pay for baby sitters. Last year for our anniversary, I wanted to do something special at home that we would enjoy after putting Addilyn to bed. I had gotten a new fondue pot for Christmas and hadn’t had an opportunity to use it yet, so I decided that this was JUST the occasion!
That afternoon, I went to the store and grabbed various things to dip: Pineapple, marshmallows, strawberries, bananas, rice Krispy treats and pound cake. You could totally do any number of things, these are just all things that we like!
Just after putting the baby to bed, I whipped up this delicious chocolate fondue recipe and set it all up on our back porch. We have an awesome IKEA dining set out there, and some fun cafe lights strung up which make it the perfect spot to spend a warm May evening!
That’s it! A super simple, low key date night that you can put together in minutes. We really loved spending some quality time together just enjoying the view and each other’s company.
(Keep scrolling for the fondue recipe!)
Easy Chocolate Fondue
- 10 ounces chocolate (whatever kind you want!)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream (depending on how thick you want your fondue)
- 1 1/2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Start by preparing all of the ingredients/treats you will be dipping in the fondue. The preparation of the fondue goes quickly, so you want to have all of the treats ready to go!
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate, 1/2 cup milk or cream and butter and heat in the microwave for about 2 minutes at 50% power. (You may want to stir half way through).
- Remove and stir until completely smooth, heating more in 30 second intervals if needed.
- Add more milk if desired and then stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Pour into your fondue pot if you have one, or serve immediately in a bowl. If you are serving without a pot, your mixture may thicken as it cools. If this happens, simply heat it in bursts of 15 seconds in the microwave and stir well in between until it thins back out.