This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
Chicken Pot Pie is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods! Especially the Marie Calendars frozen kind that you literally pop into the oven (guilty!). My husband and I have differing opinions on this dish, so I don’t make it super often.
The other day I was having a craving for it, but needed something that would not throw my sugar levels off (thanks Gestational Diabetes, for stealing my comfort food!). So I did what I do and found recipes, and then combined and tweaked them until I came up with something that I honestly think was SUPER delicious! The husband and the toddler both ate it up, so it must be good!
I went ahead and cooked the chicken (to pieces) in the crock pot on low the day before, simply because I had time. I shredded it and popped it into the fridge, and then threw this meal together at dinner time the next day. It was perfect and tender!
Just look at that crusty goodness!
Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie
For the filling:
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 2.5 cups cooked, shredded chicken* (see note in step 1 below!)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (I just used a bag of frozen!)
- 1/2 of a white onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (I buy mine pre-minced in a jar! Major time saver!)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning (more for cooking your chicken!)
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch (if you aren’t Keto! Xanthan Gum if you are!)
- 5 TBSP Butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup Almond Flour
- 2 TBSP Sour Cream
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (mild is best!)
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Cook your chicken (or shred your pre-cooked chicken). *I opted to pre-cook my chicken in the crock pot the day before. I simply placed 3-4 chicken breasts in there, added a good bit of Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper, a cup of water, and cooked on low for 8 hours. You could absolutely Instant Pot some chicken, or use rotisserie if you are pinched for time!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat your Cast Iron Skillet on the stove top. Sautee your onion, mixed vegetables, salt and pepper in 2 TBSP butter, until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic and cook another minute until fragrant (stir constantly or it will burn!).
- Add the broth, cream and Italian Seasoning.
- Sprinkle your cornstarch (or Xanthan Gum) and simmer about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should start to thicken up at this point, but you want to keep the liquid in there, so if it starts to look too thick, stop simmering!
- Stir in your shredded chicken and turn heat to low.
- Now for the “crust!” Combine your melted butter, salt, eggs and sour cream and whisk until well incorporated.
- Add the almond flour and baking powder.
- Stir in the cheeses. Mix until well combined.
- Drop the batter in dollops onto the filling and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until it seems cooked through. Turn the oven to broil and cook another minute or two, until it has a golden crust on top.