This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
Hey you guys! I’m here to share one of my absolute, all-time favorite recipes that I have ever created! I could seriously eat this entire pan on a daily basis. I teased it in my Insta story and had so many requests for the recipe- so here it is!
I have always loved caprese anything. Something about the mixture of tomato, basil, balsamic reduction and fresh mozzarella is just my jam. Especially during this pregnancy with Lilliana! After Addilyn’s birth when I was really adjusting to the 2B Mindset (which I HIGHLY recommend, by the way!), I craved my old favorite, but with a low-carb, veggies-most twist! Now that I am dealing with Gestational Diabetes, it has come back into our menu rotation very frequently! Try it, I promise you won’t be sad!
Low-Carb Balsamic Chicken Skillet
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed.
- 4 decent sized zucchini, cut into slices and then quartered
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 16 oz log of fresh mozzarella (I personally love the Galbani brand!), cut into cubes
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic (I like to buy it in a jar, pre-minced!)
- 2 TBSP Brown Sugar (you could try the brown sugar subs if you wanted to lower the carbs even more, but it doesn’t affect my sugar with all of this protein!)
- 2 tsp Dried Basil (or fresh if you are feeling really fancy!)
- If you have time, put your cubed chicken in an airtight container with a drizzle of olive oil and a generous pour of balsamic vinegar. Give it a good shake and then place it in the fridge for a few hours to marinate. This step is not mandatory by any means, but it really gives your chicken more flavor!
- If you did not have time to marinate, jump right to this step! Heat a cast iron skillet (really helps with the flavor, but if you don’t have one, a non-stick skillet works too!) on med-low on your stove top.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and your chicken, and cook until the chicken is mostly cooked through.
- When the chicken is basically cooked, add the garlic and basil and cook for approximately one minute, until fragrant.
- Add a very generous pour of balsamic vinegar to the pan. I don’t ever measure this, I simply work to taste! You will figure out how tart you like it!
- Next, add your zucchini and cook everything until the zucchini is tender but not mushy. You may have to add a bit more oil or vinegar as it cooks to keep some sauce in the pan. You will want the liquid at the end to drizzle, I promise!
- Once your zucchini is mostly cooked, add your brown sugar and stir well.
- Add your cherry tomatoes the very last and cook just long enough to warm them up, but not make them mush..
- Taste the sauce. Add more sugar or vinegar to get it to where you like it!
- Transfer your mixture to plates and add your fresh mozzarella cubes. We get a little carried away here, but you do you! Drizzle any leftover sauce from the pan over everything and enjoy!
Try it and love it! Let me know what you think and give it a share if its a win for you like it is for us! Sharing is caring 😉
Keto-friendly low carb cookies?! YES , please! Check it out: