This post may contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own! Read my full disclaimer here !
A Gestational Diabetes diagnosis can be a lot to handle. It feels like the end of all things that taste good (i.e.. sweets!) at the very least until your pregnancy is over (barring any lingering sugar issues). Which is hard because when you are pregnant, a lot of times you crave all the sweets! Add to that the fact that I literally am constantly baking and working with sweets via my home baking side gig and I was really feeling deprived.
So, I decided that I needed to find a way to satisfy my sweet tooth that wouldn’t hurt my blood sugar numbers, and I am happy to say that I was SUPER successful! If you follow any low-carb diet, this may just be your new fave. I think I have made one almost every day since I finalized the recipe and it still tastes every bit as good to me! If you make it exact to this recipe, it only has 8g of carbs, and 7g of protein to almost entirely balance that out!
First of all, you will want to soften your butter, but not fully melt it! I put mine in a cute ramekin that I have, but a mug is perfect too! Zap that baby in the micro for about 15-20 seconds and its perfect.
Then, you simply add everything else to the mug! I personally use these LILY’S baking chips because they are way lower carb and I don’t feel as guilty. But I will add that I have done it with a sprinkle of regular semi-sweet mini chips and my numbers have not spiked at all. So if you are in a pinch, don’t let that stop you!
Give it a really good stir to mix everything in!
Pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds and then devour! Omgosh it’s so good!
Low Carb Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (use the real thing!)
- 3 TBSP Almond Flour
- 1 TBSP Sugar Free sweetener of your choice (I use Splenda. If you are Keto, use something like MonkFruit)
- 1 large egg yolk (these are super helpful if you aren’t good at separating eggs!)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Approx 1 TBSP sugar free chocolate chips (I use THESE, but you can try with regular semi-sweet too if you aren’t being super strict!)
- Place the butter in your mug and soften it for approximately 15-20 seconds in the microwave.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Microwave for approximately 45 seconds.
- Remove and let it cool for a second, if you can resist.
- Enjoy your sweet (guilt-free!) treat!!
Hi! Could you sub coconut flour for almond flour?
I have never tried it, but. I would assume so!
I also used dark chocolate and it was delish. Definately a nice snack for us poor diabetics Read More