Mexican food is my absolute favorite thing to eat. (Okay, other than cake.) But really, I am a sucker for Mexican and could eat it 3-4 times a week with no problems. Lately, I’ve been on a fajita kick. I’ve been craving them for days and decided last night that I was going to just whip some up! I had pretty much everything on hand, so this came together really easily and I wanted to share it with my favorite peeps!
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 1-1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 2 TBSP oil of your choice
- 2 TBSP vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp Oregano flakes
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Dash of cayenne pepper (to taste…I hardly use any!)
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 2-3 large Red Bell Peppers
- 2-3 Large Green Bell Peppers
- 2 Yellow Onions
- Tortillas and toppings of your choice! Had I pre-planned this, I would have had Pico and Guac to go along with it!
- Combine the oil, vinegar, water and spices in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut your chicken into long, thin strips and place in the bowl with the marinade. Place in the fridge and let it rest for at least 30 mins (the longer the better if you are planning ahead!).
- While your chicken is resting, remove the seeds from your peppers. Cut those as well as your onions into long, thin strips and set aside.
- When the chicken is almost done marinating, bust out your Cast Iron Skillet (this makes a HUGE difference in getting that delicious, slightly charred taste! Don’t have one? Get my fav here!). Put a drizzle of oil in that bad boy and pre-heat in on medium high.
- Once the pan is hot, add your chicken and cook it through, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t stick. I dumped the whole thing, marinade and all, into the pan so that the veggies could get some of that spice, too!
- When your chicken is done, remove it to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add your veggies to the pan and add a little oil if needed to prevent sticking. Cook until your veggies are soft.
- This is a good time to set out your tortillas and toppings. We love a good home made tortilla, but I had some store-bought on hand so thats what I used! Just make sure you remember to stir your veg every few mins so that they don’t burn!
- Add the chicken back to the pan and turn the heat up to high. Cook everything a little more, stirring very frequently. You should start to see it get that yummy charred look! Be careful not to burn it!
- Remove the pan and place on the table on a trivet. Be careful, the pan will be HOT and the food will still be sizzling!
- Enjoy your authentic fajitas!